Today the minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship announced a new pathway to permanent residence for more than 90,000 temporary workers and international graduates already in Canada.
This new pathway will be focused on temporary workers employed in our hospitals and long-term care homes and on the frontlines of other essential sectors, as well as international graduates who are driving the economy of Canada.
IRCC will start taking applications under the following 3 streams from May 6, 2021: –
- 40,000 applications for international students who graduated from a Canadian institution
- 20,000 applications for temporary workers in health care
- 30,000 applications for temporary workers in other selected essential occupations
Eligibility Criteria for Temporary workers: –
- At least 1 year of Canadian work experience in a health-care profession or another pre-approved essential occupation this applies to workers in 40 health-care occupations, as well as 95 other essential jobs across a range of fields, like caregiving and food production and distribution.
- Language proficiency of at least CLB 4 in either official language
- Have accumulated at least one (1) year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time experience (1,560 hours), in Canada, in an eligible occupation.
Eligibility Criteria for International Graduates: –
- International graduates must have completed an eligible Canadian post-secondary program within the last 4 years, and no earlier than January 2017.
- Language proficiency of at least CLB 5 in either official language